Reforms to Australia's permanent skilled migration programme
Since July 2017
The purpose of this fact sheet is to advise the general public about the scope and implementation timeframes for reforms to the following permanent skilled migration programmes:
- Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) visa (ENS visa)
- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclass 187) visa (RSMS visa)
- Skilled – Independent (subclass 189) visa
- Skilled – Nominated (subclass 190) visa
- Skilled – Regional (Provisional) (subclass 489) visa.
Combined list of elligible skilled occupations
Updated 1 July 2017
The table in next page specifies whether the relevant occupation is included on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL).
Applicants for a subclass 457 visa should be aware that the maximum visa period available to you if your occupation is on the STSOL is 2 years unless a longer period is required to meet international trade obligations.
4 years is the maximum visa period available if your occupation is on the MLTSSL.